On My 7th I was fortunate to get to travel to Washington DC with Kurt. Grandpa Andy kept track of the kiddos at home. Kurt had a meeting on Thursday so I went to the DAR Museum in the morning on my own. I had read that they had quilts on display. I found a lot of amazing history and a few quilts. I am so glad I made this a part of my trip. FYI Be sure to go on a docent led tour! The section labeled "Museum" is just a small part of the whole experience.
As many of you know, Adam has become a big fan of playing tennis. One area of the museum was dedicated to women in sports. I thought Adam would get a kick out of the tennis gear.
The quilts...I feel much better about being a machine quilter after having been to the DAR Museum. Several of the quilts there were machine pieced and quilted!
The new album block quilt made me laugh because in the description that hangs next to the quilt it discusses the maker's difficulty in making blocks of the same size. Really? What happened to the thought if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
My favorite fireplace and bookcases in the whole place. In my next house....
They are still repairing the Washington Monument from the earthquake. In the photo above you can see a guy working at the top. Below is the elevator that takes him to work. This would not be my dream job.
Kurt finished up in time to walk with me late afternoon on Thursday. We walked from the hotel, past the Washington Monument, along the reflecting pool, and all the way around the tidal basin back to the hotel. We saw the Korean War Monument, MLK Monument, and the FDR Monument for the first time. The FDR was my favorite.
Jefferson from across the tidal basin
Kurt at the FDR Monument
Getting my plug in for vaccinations. FDR had polio after he was married. He never walked again.

No comments:
Post a Comment