Monday, October 12, 2009

A Long Weekend

Wednesday night Kurt called from Minneapolis to tell me that he thought he was coming down with the flu. Thursday morning he did not go to his meeting and hit the road for home. Being the loving wife I am, I packed up Adam and myself and moved out for the weekend. Thursday afternoon Adam and I hung out with Dad, aka Grandpa Waldorf. Thursday evening Adam went to visit Grandpa Andy while Grandma Trip and I went to stamping class. Adam spent the night there and I went to Dad's to sleep. Friday morning, after preschool, Adam and I hit the road for Kansas.
Our first stop was Highland, KS for my cousin Katherine's volleyball games. Adam wasn't too sure about their pregame music, but once the games got underway he enjoyed watching while playing cars in the bleachers. Dad decided to go for a joy ride in his new solstice and made it to the games with 2 points left in the last match. After the games we drove to St. Joseph to have dinner with Katherine and 2 friends, Aunt Karen, and Julie. We ate at a great cajun place. Adam managed to stay awake until we made it to the hotel about 11. What a trooper!





Saturday morning we got up and hit the pool. Adam and Grandpa had a blast going through the "Time Tunnel" from Summer time inside to Winter time outside. The "Time Tunnel" references "Dinosaur Train" the latest Jim Henson production on PBS.
















After a great swim and chatting with Aunt Karen and Julie we (including Dad) hit the road for Kansas City. No real plan, just a road trip. We had a great BBQ lunch in Gladstone at Smokehouse BBQ. After lunch we headed for a hotel. The first 3 we tried were full. Thanks to TomTom we found an awesome room at the Drury Inn in Overland Park. Free popcorn and pop in the evening and a good breakfast in the morning. We even had a suite so that I did not have to share a bed with Adam again. I love him dearly but his little feet in my side at 3 am can only last so long. More swimming, a yummy dinner at Old Chicago watching the Hawkeyes win, and relaxing were the name of the game the rest of the day.




On Sunday we met up with Maxine and Kevin for chatting at their house and lunch at a local brewhouse. Yummy! Kevin managed to fit in Dad's new car but his foot was stuck between the gas and the brake so he couldn't drive anywhere.



After lunch with Max and Kevin we headed to Bob and Molly's to catch the end of the KC game and chat about their weekend ride to Eureka Springs. It sounded like great fun! Dad and Bob went to Kmart to check out a sailboat christmas decoration, but Dad decided it couldn't handle the wind in Iowa.
After much relaxing we hit the road and headed north. I debated all the way to Osceola about going all the way home to sick Kurt or not. In the end I decided his trip to the doctor made it ok for me to go home. The doctor decided he had bronchitis instead and prescribed antibiotics. Hopefully he was right and Adam and I were gone long enough.

It was a fun weekend for us. Poor Kurt still doesn't feel real good, but is definately on the mend. Hopefully the next time we take an unplanned road trip he can join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment